Thursday, March 24, 2005

Attempting to Teach Ethics

Here is a summary of a recent exchange I had with a student in one of my ethics classes.

Me: Should people in the business world be honest even though it is thought that a majority of businessmen lie?

Student: Well, they won't make as much money that way.

Me: Perhaps, but ought they to tell the truth?

Student: Well, they probably don't want to tell the truth.

Me: Maybe, but ought they to tell the truth?

Student: Well, they might get caught if they lie.

Me: Yes, but ought they to tell the truth?

Student: Well, everyone else is pretty much lying most of the time.

Me: Yes, but ought they to tell the truth?

Student: Well, I'm not sure I would tell the truth.

Me: Yes, but ought you to tell the truth (putting aside extenuating circumstances)?

Student: I guess I don't get what you mean by "ought."

Me: I mean something you should do because it's the right thing to do.

Student: Well, what's right for some is different from what's right for others.

Me: Do you have a car?

Student: Yes.

Me: Would mind if another student in this class damaged your car?

Student: No.

Me: What if they think it's right for them to damage your car?

Student: Well, I don't think it's right.

Me: But what if they do?

Student: Well, I don't think it's right.

Me: So, you think that everyone should do what you think is right.

A few observations about this. (1) This student really had no clear conception of "ought." This seems to be worse than someone who just won't admit that they know they ought to do something but don't want to do it. He honestly seemed to lack a clear idea of what I meant when I asked him if he ought to do something. (2) At this point in the student's life, it will be nearly impossible to teach him ethics. Of course, I can "teach" him different ethical systems such as egoism, utilitarianism, or deontology, but he will probably never learn to be ethical.

No comments: